Monday, September 7, 2009

FEEL FEEL FEEL ..... A great 4 letter word!

Not every player I build clubs for is greatly sensitive to Club Feel. But almost all are to some extent. I am now midway into a fitting with a good player who is very sensitive to the desire to feel the clubhead. And about to start a fitting for a player who I know needs clubs that are a lot longer than normal......and for him Feel may be more important that for "standard" length players.


Feel is the Bottom Line of a golf club. I believe that if a club does not feel good in your hands you will never truly hit it well. When I do fittings I am constantly asking how one club feels vs another test club and I weigh highly what players tell me about feel.


What affects club feel? Just about everything! For sure the club MOI or swingweight are a measure of feel - and these are influenced by head weight, shaft weight, club length, and club flex.


I do not think it is easy to quantify what makes one club "feel" better than another - but that does not mean that finding the right feel for a player is not perhaps the most important thing that a professional clubfitter can do.


Tony

No comments: