Monday, September 14, 2009

Family Fixings....

My youngest brother visited this past weekend and we got to play golf together for 2 days. Beautiful fall weather here in Tennessee!


He plays something less than 10 times a year, but really enjoys playing when he does. Last year when we played together I built him a driver - shorter length, lighter flex shaft, lighter swingweight - to attempt to help him slice the ball less. I could see this year that he was hitting this club better than last year......but truthfully the biggest improvement he would get with a driver would come from taking some lessons.


This year I got him to try some graphite shafted fairway woods. A lot lighter than his previous woods, which had steel shafts....boy, these babies were HEAVY. He liked the feel of the lighter woods, and hit a few good shots with them on Sunday.


In thinking back to the weekend, I realize that there are lots of people playing golf - say 10 times or less a year - who have no idea that their clubs are a very poor fit for their games. The realist in me knows that for a lot of these folks, it is not likely that they care a lot if their clubs do not really fit them. BUT.....on the other hand......I think they DO care about their golf when they are actually playing (I know for sure that my brother does, he loves when he hits good shots). So I think some level of good clubfitting can also help folks who do not play a lot - particularly those who have clubs that are difficult to swing. Does it mean I am saying that these folks should be going for a really detailed fitting for their clubs - probably not. But they deserve to at least play clubs that are the right length, and that have flexes and weights that are a reasonable fit for the way they play.


I have a feeling that "someone" may be getting some even newer fairway woods for Christmas?


PS....One Month to the AGCP Roundtable 4 - can't wait!!


Tony

No comments: