Monday, August 16, 2010

Back At It - Adding New Iron Fitting Shafts

After an enjoyable but VERY hot weekend playing in our annual Member Guest tournament, I have a few iron fittings coming up in the next few weeks.


I presently have graphite and steel iron fitting shafts, in raw weights of about 60 and 70 grams in graphite, and 90 - 100 and 120 - 130 grams in steel. There is a hole between the graphite and steel shafts that I am starting to fill in this week.


I ordered six Aerotech i80 Steelfiber shafts - these combine steel and graphite fibers into one shaft - raw weights of about 85 grams. I will build these to different butt frequencies - 5 cpm apart. The Steelfiber shafts are a high quality shaft presently being used on the PGA tour by at least one prominent player. Many of my clubfitting friends strongly endorse this shaft, and I look forward to having these as a option for future club fittings.


What has pushed me to add this group of shafts is the fact that it is hard to predict what shaft weight and shaft feel will produce the best results for players. So it is important to test a number of options to be sure that all reasonable possibilities are covered to find the best fit for players. I never thought, for example, that 70 gram graphite SK Fiber shafts would be a good fit for me because I still swing the club pretty agressively - but I love the feel of these shafts and all I have to do is swing smoothly to get good results.


It is pretty difficult to have "too many" iron test fitting shafts - which is good news for customers!


Tony

No comments: