Monday, June 21, 2010

A Break In The Action....................Well, Sort Of!

This year has been the busiest one I have had so far in the almost four years since I started clubfitting and clubmaking. It has been a lot of fun to see some new clients come to me because others have referred them.


But....at the same time.....I believe that there are things I need to do to continue to improve my clubfitting abilities. And truthfully I hope to be able to say the same thing ever year......I see how the best fitters are always looking to improve what they do and how they do it.


For me, the next big improvement step is to move up to a more sophisticated Launch Monitor system. Last week I purchased an Accusport Vector Pro launch monitor. I think this particular unit has some indoor fitting capabilities that will greatly enhance my indoor fittings. Specifically, better measurement of ball flight - left and right of the target - and improved measurement of ball spin.


Coupling the Vector Pro and my present Golftek V swing analyzer system will allow me to truly measure all key fitting parameters indoors. I will now be able to measure club and ball speed, ball spin, launch angle, shot dispersion (left or right), Power Transfer Ratio, club path, clubface angle at impact, and a number of other important parameters. Having all of this data will allow me to really see how changing shaft flex, shaft weight, club MOI/swingweight, and club length affect key ball striking results.


The small down side (if there is one....) is that it will take me a little time to get the new system operating. Tonight, for example, I added memory to my laptop computer so that it could collect data at the speeds needed by the Vector. I will operate the Vector Pro and the Golftek at the same time, so adding this memory will also allow me to ensure that I can collect key data with no problems.


But all in all I am very excited about being able to take my fittings to a new level of sophistication. In a way the timing of making this change is probably right - since in a few days I will probably be making a trip to Georgia to see my new grandson - Madux Lee Wright - be born! On the downtime moments, I can do some Vector Pro manual reading and be ready to get back to fittings when I return...


Tony

No comments: