Monday, August 10, 2009

A Great Weekend!

My brother Harry comes every year to play the Oak Ridge Country Club Member Guest tournament with me. We played this past weekend, and did the best we ever did in the tournament - winning our flight, first round playoff match, and getting into a chip off on the first shootout playoff hole. For me this weekend is pretty much both the highlight of my golfing year and also the end of the summer golf season for me.


Both my brother and I now play clubs totally fitted and built by me. He plays an SMT Indio driver, Golfworks KE4 3, 5, and 7 woods, Wishon 785 HF 4 and 5 hybrids, and Wishon irons. I built him a new putter that he put in play this weekend and he putted great - the fit for him was about an inch shorter than his previous putter, and he liked an oversized Winn grip for the putter. He putted great with this the entire weekend. I play with an SMT 455DB driver, Wishon 3 and 5 woods, Wishon 785 HF 3, 4, and 5 hybrids, and Infiniti Assure irons and wedges. I play a Golfworks putter, and use the Opti Vibe putter optimization weights in the putter to improve its feel for me.


There were for me three great highlights of the weekend....

1. In our second match on Saturday - when we were down two holes - we were playing a par five and Harry hit a 200 yard 3 wood to a steeply uphill green to 30 feet, and sunk the putt for a birdie. It was one of the finest shots I have ever seen....I am still not sure how he did it!


2. In the first hole of the shootout - alternate shot - I stood on the tee to hit my drive - and I looked out on rows of carts of people watching the play and it was TOTALLY quiet....not sure I have ever experienced such a calm time on a golf course. I was enough in control of the moment to slow down and truly enjoy it.


3. Finally, today we played one more round and my brother shot his first ever 37 for 9 holes - one over par. He made two birdies in a row (first time ever) and easily could have shot even par. We were quietly rooting him on!


Golf never ceases to be a great sport to play. But getting to compete and sometimes succeed in tournaments - what a treat!


Tony

No comments: