Monday, January 10, 2011

Wedge Shafts - How Do YOU Feel?

In the interest of being curious, when I get wedges with steel shafts to regrip I always check the flex of the shafts.


Just about every time, the shaft flex is - based on the flex standard that I use - XStiff to XXStiff. This is becoming less and less of a surprise to me, but now I am wondering why most of these shafts are so stiff.


Clearly wedges are for the most part "feel" clubs. Yes, you might hit a full sand wedge or lob wedge from time to time, but mostly you are hitting 30 to 50 yard shots, pitches around the green, and sand shots.


I know of at least one player who likes his sand wedge to be very stiff - he calls it "rebar" - particularly for use in sand shots. I also, though, know a lot of fitters who have great success building wedges that are actually slightly softer in flex than the other shafts in a set.


It all comes down again, then, to that wonder four letter golf word - Feel. And particularly for wedges, it is worth finding out if you perform better with wedges that are very stiff, or wedges that are a bit softer than the other irons in your bag.


Tony

No comments: