Monday, June 22, 2009

Walking the talk....

Last week I realized that I have achieved qualifications as an Assn. of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP) Level 9 Clubfitter. There are 10 levels of AGCP qualification, and I hope that achieving this brings greater credibility to my efforts to make great golf clubs for golfers.


However, three experiences with customers this week for me have been just as exciting and pleasing as achieving AGCP Level 9 quallfications:

1. I was building a 5 iron hybrid club for a long-time customer, and the shaft that I was using was "not quite" right in terms of allowing me to create the right shaft flex. Rather than ignoring this, I bought the right shaft (no extra cost to him...) and tonight built the club just the way it should be built for him;

2. One of my golf buddies wants to experiment with using a Belly Putter. I measured him to determine how much I could extend the shaft on his present putter to get the right length. However, I did not have a lot of experience with building Belly Putters, so I asked on the AGCP web forum for advice. I found out a lot of good tips on building Belly Putters the right way, and an AGCP putter guru - Bob Uebelhor - is sending me a shaft specifically built for use in Belly Putters. This way I can build this club to the best length, weight and shaft flex so that my friend will get a true test about how good a Belly Putter can be for him.

3. Today I got a call from someone asking me to reshaft a fairway wood for him. I did a little research on the club, and found out that he could buy another club for less than my cost to him for rebuilding the club. So I called him and told him this and he appreciated me providing him this information.


Qualifications are great and they are important. But doing what it takes to build the perfect clubs for golfers to help them improve is what I hope all of my customers get from me!


Tony

No comments: