Monday, May 18, 2009

Hybrids - HATE the name, LOVE the performance!!

I was wondering tonight if calling hybrid clubs "Hybrids" puts a negative golf thought in our minds. These clubs in my view provide amazing performance. All golfers of all abilities need to consider having these clubs in their bags......


Many people do not really know why hybrid clubs really came about. I believe they started as a result of what Tom Wishon calls the "vanishing loft disease." If you look at the progression of the loft of a 5 iron over the past 20 or so years, you will see that the lofts of 5 irons get stronger and stronger - so that what is now a 5 iron was probably a 4 iron or even in some cases a 3 iron 20 years ago. Hybrid clubs became a rage because most normal golfers could not hit 3 irons, 4 irons, often 5 irons consistently. Thus clubs (hybrids...) that look a lot like fairway woods but are meant as a substitute for long irons.


I have had two great experiences, and one soon to be anticipated great experience, recently with building hybrids:

1. My best golfing buddy, who I relied on this weekend to make some pretty good cash in our club member member tournament, plays 4 and 5 hybrid clubs that I built for him. Wishon 785 HF heads, SK Fiber Pure Energy shafts. Once we settled on the right shaft flex and swingweight for him, he hit them well right away. What I have been surprised at is that he is now hitting them about 10 yards longer than I thought he could.


2. My other best golfing buddy - me! - also is playing Wishon 785 HF hybrid clubs - in my case the 3 hybrid and 4 hybrid. I have different shafts in them - Wishon GI-335 Tour weight R flex shafts. These shafts have a butt flex stiffer than what you might expect for an "R" flex and they are also tip soft. Since I put these in my bag I have hit them better than any other hybrid I have played - high and long. I hit the 3 hybrid about 190 yards, and have been using the 4 hybrid for shots from 170 to 180 yards. I like them so much that I ordered the head and shaft for building a 5 hybrid that will soon substitute for my present 5 iron.


3. One of my clients has been playing Taylor Made Burner hybrids. He likes the heads, but has not had good consistency with these clubs. They actually had two different shafts in them - one had a steel shaft, the other a graphite shaft. I recently reshafted his new Mizuno irons with Wishon Superlite R flex shafts and he loves the feel and performance of these clubs. So I convinced him that I should reshaft his hybrids with the same shaft. I just finished rebuilding his hybrids to the same shaft flex and club MOI that he liked in his irons. I believe they will have a very similar feel to his irons, and I expect they will provide the same great performance.


Hybrids clubs built to the right specifications for you are a great way to help lower your golf scores. They are the real deal!!


Tony

No comments: