Monday, March 23, 2009

AGCP - My BUDDIES!!

The Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals (AGCP). I thought it was time to give these guys a bit of a plug - though to tell you the truth many of the folks in this group are at a pretty incredible level of clubfitting and do not need any help from me!


I think it was about 2 years ago, probably around this time of year, that I found the AGCP web site. Something about them, the resources and approaches that they promoted, and the fact that they have a yearly "Roundtable" meeting where clubfitters get together to talk details of clubfitting, seemed attractive. So I joined.....and it was the best move I have ever made in clubfitting.


The AGCP, lead by Roy Nix of Columbus, GA is one tremendous organization. They attempt to keep things simple in my view - How Can We All Improve As Clubfitters And Clubmakers? And they do it in a deceptively simple way - All members are encouraged to buy in the philosophy that There Are No Dumb Questions. This is an easy philosophy to say but not easy to realize - but it is the bread and butter of the AGCP. Questions come from clubfitters who are new, clubfitters like myself who have a few years of experience, clubfitters who have many years of experience - and answers come from people who have qualifications like International Clubmaker of the Year, and may others who have been the business and fully know ropes. And always the response is thanks for the question and here is your answer.


As a result, many of the really great clubfitting and clubmaking techniques that I have learned have come from being an AGCP member. Some of these include....

1. Zone profiling of iron shafts....to determine which shaft in a set of untipped shafts to use in which irons to get the most consistent shaft flex profile.

2. Using unscented baby wipes to clean epoxy off the outside of clubs when doing a build.

3. The "Butt-Mid+Tip" profiling technique for picking the best driver shaft for a player's swing speed, tempo, and release point.

4. 3M DP 810 epoxy, which has great strength characteristics and is playable in about 30 minutes.

And a lot more.


And the ROUNDTABLE events.....well, these are the highlights of being involved in the AGCP. In the late fall in 2007 and 2008 I attended these, with about 60 other clubfitters. Each time I came away with lots of new knowledge and connections and ways to improve my clubfitting techniques.


Now, clearly if you read this and are in the Knoxville area your clubfitter of choice ought to be me! (and I believe in fact I am the only AGCP fitter in this area). But if you are from another area of the country, and are looking for a great clubfitter to help improve your game, I suggest you get on the AGCP web site - www.agcpgolf.com - and look for an AGCP fitter in your area. You will be pleased with the results!


Tony

No comments: