Monday, February 9, 2009

Clear Key Golf - TAKE A LOOK!

I hope you all do not mind if I change it up a bit this week. I want to suggest tonight a source of "mental game" information that many do not know about but that you might want to investigate.

Being an engineer and definitely a long time golf fanatic, I have read a lot of the books available on the mental game of golf - pre shot routines, trusting, etc. One thing that I have always been mystified about were the two times in my golfing life when I almost felt like I had "out of body" experiences (well, maybe a little over the top in describing them but oh well...). In one case I played in a scramble tournament and in a playoff hit a 300 yard drive, 8 iron to 30 feet on a par 5, and drained the putt for the team to win. In the other, another scramble, and I was the only one who could hit my drive on the last hole (had to choose 2 drives of each player) - and for me I again bombed it and we birdied the hole to win the tournament. In both cases, I have never felt more focused and TOTALLY engaged when playing golf.

About 3 years ago, not sure how I found it, I found a link to the CLEAR KEY GOLF web site. The site provides a link to books and articles about what I believe is a very different, but to me clearly valuable, approach to mental focus in golf. Carey Mumford is the developer of this process. The basis for his approach - and I am sure my discussion of this does not do it justice - is that golfers need to understand the basic style traits that they have - Persuader, Craftsman, Driver, and Analyzer - and how these affect how they approach playing golf; and that he believes there are ways to construct your pre-shot routine so that you can allow your self to be more on "automatic" when you hit golf shots.

Carey has written an ebook - "The Double Connexion" - that is well worth the reasonable price that he charges for it. He will also provide people with a style questionaire that can be completed and he will provide an evaluation of your personal style. He also writes a monthly newsletter that is very interesting reading, and there are many articles on his web site that are interesting reading.

Carey continues to teach his approach to professional golfers - when I asked for permission to discuss his site on his blog, he indicated he was on his way to Destin for some sessions with some players from Spain, the UK, and the US.

If you have any interest in improving the mental aspects of your golf game, I strongly recommend that you read some of the information on http://clearkeygolf.com/.


Tony

No comments: